Minimalism is a peculiar aesthetic. Many people shy away from it because they assume that it means you can only own a few things and have a small home. This is not true, of course, but the notion has stuck with many for years. Only after reading about minimalism did I understand its appeal.
Minimalist principles are all about removing anything that’s unnecessary to make something feel nicer. It helps you see the beauty in things that we often take for granted, and makes your home more relaxing and peaceful as a result. Minimalist living isn’t just about what you can own or how much space you have; it’s also about how those things make you feel.
What is Minimalism?
Minimalism is all about decluttering, removing excess, and simplifying your life. It’s about lessening your impact on the environment and finding a happiness that’s more than just material items.
Minimalism is a form of lifestyle design that can help you create a life that is both meaningful and manageable. It’s about curating your world so that you have what you truly need and nothing that doesn’t serve you. It’s not a strict set of rules or a way of life for everyone.
Instead, minimalism is a tool that can help you identify the things in your life that are holding you back. It can help you decide what’s important to you and what you want out of life. When you have less stuff, you have more time, money, and mental space to focus on what truly matters to you.
The Basics: Why Minimalist Living Is Becoming So Popular
As minimalism has grown in popularity, people have begun to wonder why it has become so widespread. This isn’t just a trend that’s here for a short period of time before dying off again. Instead, it’s a movement that people are taking part in across the globe. It’s no secret that many people struggle with debt and financial burdens. Minimalism can help you break free from this cycle by encouraging you to live with less so you have more room in your budget. Not only that, but it can also help you declutter your space and find more meaning in life by getting rid of material possessions that you don’t need.
5 Myths of Minimalism
You can’t own anything nice
This is a common myth that is completely false. Minimalism is about owning only the things that truly matter to you. It’s about choosing quality items that you know will last a long time. It’s not about depriving yourself of things that make your life better.
You have to live in a tiny house without any charm
Many people believe that minimalism means you have to own only stark white appliances and furniture without any character. This isn’t true at all. You can still find pieces that you love and that make you happy regardless of their colour or style.
You have to give up your hobbies
Many people think that minimalism means you have to stop doing the things that you love. In reality, it’s quite the opposite. You can still do what you love as long as it brings you joy while living with less.
You have to sacrifice your comfort
This myth is closely linked to the previous one. Living with less doesn’t mean that you have to sacrifice your comfort or be miserable. It just means that you have to prioritize what’s important in your life.
You have to change who you are to be a minimalist
One of the biggest myths about minimalism is that you have to change who you are to follow these principles. It’s not about turning into a completely different person who doesn’t enjoy doing what they love. It’s about finding a middle ground in your life and simplifying it so that you can focus on what really matters.
11 Rules of Minimalist Living
- Identify your values. Before you can declutter your life, you first have to decide what truly matters to you. What are your core values and what do they mean to you? This can help you decide what stays in your life and what you should get rid of.
- Cut your possessions in half. Many minimalists recommend that you cut your possessions in half. This is a good way to quickly declutter and decide what stays in your life. It also helps you see what you really need.
- Don’t buy anything new until you’ve gotten rid of something. This is a good way to make sure you only get things you truly need. It also helps you declutter faster so you can move on with your life.
- Keep things as long as you’re using them. This is a common minimalist rule that many people break. You don’t have to throw things away as soon as they become broken or worn out. Instead, you can fix them or use them as is until they die out completely.
- Make sure everything in your life has a purpose. This is one of the most important minimalist rules. When you have fewer things in your life, you have to make sure each one has a purpose. This is how you avoid clutter and overindulgence again.
3 Ways To Implement These Rules and Myths in Your Life
- Ask yourself if it sparks joy. This is a common method that many minimalists use to decide what stays in their lives. If something sparks joy and brings you happiness, it stays. If not, it goes away.
- Let your environment inspire you. Another great way to decide what stays and what goes is to look at your space. Does it make you feel inspired or does it make you feel drained? If it’s the latter, it should probably go.
- Make an inventory of your belongings. This is a great way to see what you have in your space. It gives you a chance to truly decide what stays and what goes. It also makes moving simpler when the time comes.
Minimalism is a way of life that can help you declutter your life and make room for things that matter. It can help you find happiness and clarity by getting rid of possessions that you don’t need. Minimalism is about owning only the things that truly matter to you. When you have fewer things in your life, you have more time, money, and mental space to focus on what truly matters to you. This is a growing trend that many people are adopting. It’s a way of living that can help you declutter your life and make room for things that matter.